A late-morning / early-afternoon walk revealed that the southwest part of
Cayuga Lake pretty well had the birds cleared out of it.  The only Aythya I saw
there were a couple of male Redhead carcasses held by one of half a dozen
gunners in camo who had set up with a couple of grounded boats and a lawn chair
in water a few inches deep along the shore of Treman Marine Park, while their
dogs sat beside them on the beach.   For live birds on the lake (greatly
outnumbered by plastic) there were 2 AMERICAN BLACK DUCKS, 3 MALLARDS, a tight
flock of AMERICAN COOTS, 6 COMMON LOONS in the distance (including a close
group of 4 to the northeast), 1 HORNED GREBE in the distance to the northwest,
and in the inlet 1 male REDHEAD listing heavily, 2 female LESSER SCAUP (1 with
a disheveled wing), and 6 female BUFFLEHEAD.  When the gunners packed up and
left for the East Shore Marina, even before the sound, smell, and wake of their
boats subsided, a flock of 1 male and 6 female HOODED MERGANSER flew from that
direction to the southwest corner of the lake.  At Stewart Park the ice was
crowded with CANADA GEESE (including the domestic hybrid), MALLARDS, AMERICAN
BLACK DUCKS, a couple of COMMON MERGANSERS, and plenty of HERRING, RING-BILLED,
and GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULLS.  Off the ice off Stewart Park I saw 1 male and 2
female COMMON GOLDENEYE.  The lake looked empty compared to the hundreds of
ducks, geese, and swans that were on it a couple days ago, and I am sad despite
the beautiful day.  I look forward to the return of the survivors when it it
safe.

Other birds included 2 separate NORTHERN FLICKERS, an EASTERN BLUEBIRD, 5
AMERICAN ROBINS foraging together on some lawn, 2 separate NORTHERN
MOCKINGBIRDS, 3 separate singing CAROLINA WRENS, at least 5 AMERICAN TREE
SPARROWS in a flock near the mouth of the inlet, a couple of WHITE-THROATED
SPARROWS, a SONG SPARROW, lots of AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES, among other expected
birds.  Twice I heard but did not see a RED-TAILED HAWK, but once I suspected
BLUE JAYS were to blame.