Cornell has an extensive series of several hundred intergrade or hybrid
flickers from studies done in the Great Plains during the 1950s.  Not one of
them has different-colored feathers on its body.  The color they have varies
from yellow to orange to red, but it is consistent across all the flight
feathers in an individual bird.

Nearly every flicker that has come into the Cornell bird collection in the last
20 years has at least some red on one of the feathers.  The pattern of
intensity is consistent, and usually each reddish feather has a slightly
different saturation than the others.  None of these woodpeckers have had any
other Red-shafted characters.  Most of the true intergrades show intermediate
changes in other characters too, such as spots of red in the black male
mustache or gray in the face.  It is my conclusion that our local birds have
nothing to do with Red-shafted Flickers and have none in their recent ancestry.
 Honeysuckle berries seems the most obvious hypothesis.

Kevin

Kevin J. McGowan, Ph.D.
Instructor
Home Study Course in Bird Biology