From: John and Sue Gregoire [k...@empacc.net]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 1:54 PM
To: Kevin J. McGowan
Cc: KHAMOLISTSERV; cayugabirds-l
Subject: Re: no intergrade flickers

Hi Kevin,

I was hoping you would have an input as I didn't remember the details of what
was in
the collection from when we spoke of this several years ago. There have been a
few
studies refuting the diet hypothesis but I tend to lean that way myself for all
the
reasons you mentioned; perhaps a specific species of honeysuckle is at play as
was
hypothesized for Cedar Waxwings. The Intergrade call on flickers is mandated by
the
banding lab when any of the feather shafts show red.

In this case it was a single shaft but over the years we've had many birds
showing
red in as many as six primary shafts. Body plumage is as you said with a few
exceptions where we've noted graying in the face and some mottling in the
mustache.
None of that was very definitive and other characteristics that would be
red-shafted
are also not apparent.

 After handling a slew of them for several years running we hit a three year
gap.
This was the first red-shafted specimen we've had since. I had thought the
phenomenon was over. If anything the invasive honeysuckle has burgeoned over
that
same period making one wonder a bit about the diet hypothesis.

Thanks for adding to the discussion.
Best,
John

--