Hi,

Nancy Chen, Chris Dalton, Alberto Lopez and I went birding in the Montezuma
area this morning.  The highlight of the morning turned up after Chris and
Alberto went home---an adult BAIRD'S SANDPIPER seen from Towpath Rd.  The
bird was a diffuse warm brown on the head and breast; and clearly larger and
longer-bodied than the Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers also present.
 Other shorebirds included hundreds of LESSER YELLOWLEGS, a few PECTORAL
SANDPIPERS, DOWITCHERS, WILSON'S SNIPE, and about a dozen STILT SANDPIPERS.
 An adult breeding-plumage Bonaparte's Gull on the mudflats was beautiful
but not unexpected; they turn up in small numbers every year in late summer.
 In fact, we were somewhat surprised not to see any during a quick stop at
Sheldrake on the way home.

Good birding
--
Tim Lenz