The shorebird concentration continues in Knox-Marcellus Marsh. Birds were
seen best from Towpath Road with favorable lighting. Most of the shorebirds
today were found in the first impoundment on Towpath.

Got at least 6 STILT SANDPIPERS, and 6 SHORT-BILLED
DOWITCHERS. There were 3 DOWITCHERS that were larger than
the others and more rufous underneath - prairie race or LONG-BILLED?
The birds were not molting yet so probably prairie race of SHORT-BILLED?
Tough call.

Also SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER (many), LEAST SANDPIPER (many),
LESSER YELLOWLEGS (many), GREATER YELLOWLEGS(few),
1 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER (among semi-s, noticeably bigger,
primary projection past tail, the bird also flew and displayed white on the
rump!!),

SPOTTED SANDPIPERS (many), KILLDEER(many), and 1 SEMIPALMATED
PLOVER.

I counted at least 29 CASPIAN TERNS loafing on a gravel bar in the middle
of the impoundment. (I took some distant digiscoped photos which came
out fair. http://www.flickr.com/photos/davenicosia/4831672353/  )

There were also 4 BLACK TERNS coursing over the marsh
1 adult breeding plumage, 1 molting adult, and 2 non-breeding or juvenile
plumage.

There were also probably 200+ GREAT BLUE HERONS, 2 GREAT EGRETS,
and several COMMON MOORHEN. I also got great views and photos
of a family of TRUMPETER SWANS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davenicosia/4832280706/

There were the usual BALD EAGLES cruising around and also on the ground,
mostly 1st and 2nd year birds with 1 sub-adult 3rd or 4th year bird. Also had
OSPREY,
TV and RED-TAILED HAWK.

Among the waterfowl that I observed, there were several GREEN-WINGED TEAL,
BLUE-WINGED TEAL, GADWALL, MALLARD, WOOD DUCKS,
and BLACK DUCK.

There were many YELLOW WARBLERS, several COMMON YELLOWTHROAT,
many GRAY CATBIRDS, 1 EASTERN PHEOBE and 1 WILLOW FLYCATCHER.
Also heard BALTIMORE ORIOLE, VEERY, INDIGO BUNTING and ROSE-BREASTED
GROSBEAK.

>From East Road, I saw the "resident" SNOW GOOSE.

At May's Point, there were several families of PIED BILLED GREBES, and 1 family
of COMMON MOORHENS right by the viewing platform. Also had flyover CASPIAN
TERNS.

All in all, a great day. Temperatures were in the 70s, low humidity and enough
of a breeze
to keep the insects off.

Dave Nicosia
Johnson City, NY