I thoroughly enjoyed leading another group of eager birders up and around the lake today. The idea was, of course, was to work on ID skills, but also to introduce them to (or remind them of) the great locations at the north end of the lake. We worked hard on ducks and swans and assorted field birds - and hit most of the major spots.

Before leaving the Lab at 7:15 this morning we noted Yellow-bellied Sapsucker drumming, Swamp Sparrow trilling beyond the back parking lot, and Hooded Merganser on the pond (only one for the day).

As we headed up the lake we had a small flock of Wild Turkeys and hoped-for-yet-unexpected Ring-necked Pheasant along Rt 90. On Lake Road, about half way down, we watched and listened to a pair of Savannah Sparrows with several Eastern Meadowlarks in the background (and a close one up in a tree) and a foraging Eastern Bluebird.

We scoped Aurora Bay from the boathouse and through the chop got unsatisfactory looks at a group of Horned Grebes and another group of Long-tailed Ducks.

Mill Pond in Union Springs was nearly devoid of birds: a few Buffleheads and one Blue-winged teal (great view!)

Looking out over the pond by the MNWR Visitor's Center we parsed the various waterfowl: Green- and Blue-winged Teal, Gadwall, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, and Mallards. From the deck we noted numerous Tree Swallows and an occasional Barn Swallow (no martens present). At one point we heard, briefly, a Virginia Rail calling from beyond the western dike. Along the wildlife drive we had distant looks at Redheads, Canvasbacks, and Ring-necked Ducks. The new shorebird area held two Greater Yellowlegs. The Dunlins of the past couple weeks were gone, but there were numerous Savannah Sparrows calling in the background.

From the tower at Tschache Pool we caught up with Jay and Kevin McGowan who helped us get on the Eurasian Wigeon and Lesser Black- backed Gull. Close to the base of the tower was a pair of yellowlegs - both Greater and Lesser - allowing great comparison between the two.

Mays Point Pool continued to harbor a small flock of Ruddy Ducks as well as several Pied-billed Grebes and a flock of some 40 Cedar Waxwings.

Jay and Kevin got to East Road while we were eating lunch and called to say that there were two Sandhill Cranes on the near shore. We hurried over and got a great look at them before they took off, flying almost directly overhead, and disappeared to the west. Otherwise the impoundment held several dozen Double-crested Cormorants, numerous Great Blue Herons, and a few scattered ducks.

From there we headed to Railroad Road where we called up an American Bittern and a very obliging Virginia Rail. We had great looks at the rail but never saw the bittern. On the way in, along Van Dyne Spoor Road, we had a small group of Snow Geese. We then checked Morgan Road (American Kestrel around nest box) and the MAC (Trumpeter Swan on the south pond) and decided to head back.

Our only stop down the west side of the lake was at Dean's Cove where a flock of 15 Long-tailed Ducks was spotted close in. Unfortunately, before anyone else could get on it, the flock took off and flew south, out of range. The lake was rough with a 10 mph south wind, and we called it a day, setting our sights on the Creamery.

Altogether, it was a pretty good day! Everyone had new birds for the year, and some even had life birds.

One further note: on the way to the lab at around 6:30 this morning, I heard a Winter Wren singing across from the barn.

Bob McGuire