And a quick follow-up -- the loon wasn't there when I stopped by around 6:45PM
this evening...

Raghu

From: bounce-23249422-7194...@list.cornell.edu
[bounce-23249422-7194...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of con...@ithaca.edu
[con...@ithaca.edu]
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 6:56 PM
To: David McCartt; CayugaBirds
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Odds against two loons

Hi Folks,

     What a loony idea. (Just joking)

     The culvert in question is on my commute path and in the last 35 years I
have passed this area 300 days of the year x 2 for round trips x 35 years.
Nearly 100% of the time, I look for birds when crossing the culvert, although I
look at the upstream pond more than running stream on the down hill side of the
culvert. Even so, I have looked at the downstream side thousands of times and
even pulled over and stopped to look both ways on hundreds of times. Seeing any
loon in the stream is unlikely and is a once in many thosands event. Seeing two
different loons in two weeks, when none had ever been seen before, is possible
but really unlikely. Still, I wouldn't throw out the possibility. About 15
years ago the DEC, Karen, and Sandy Padulka rescued three loons from less than
a mile away in an even smaller pool in a stream following an ice storm that
made all the fields look like water. Wierd things happen, but not very often.

Cheers,
John