Susan Newman and I observed the Eastern Screech-Owls that nested behind Mann
Library on the Cornell campus this evening at dusk. Both adults and at least
one fledgling (although it was difficult to tell as it was nearly dark when
we were there and we were not equipped with spotlights) were still hanging
around near where they've been observed over the last few weeks, but not in
the same exact location.

The birds were quite vocal with the adults softly giving both the whinny and
tremolo calls back and forth to each other and the one fledgling offering
some interesting vocalizations as well, including what sounded like an
abbreviated version of a Saw-whet's "tooting"...something I've never heard
before from a Screech.

It was great to see that these birds are still doing well, although it's no
surprise considering they picked a very quiet part of campus in which to set
up shop.

Best,
Scott