From: bounce-37774897-3493...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-37774897-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Scott Haber
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:58 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Campus Screech-Owls

Susan Newman and I observed the Eastern Screech-Owls that nested behind Mann
Library on the Cornell campus this evening at dusk. Both adults and at least
one fledgling (although it was difficult to tell as it was nearly dark when we
were there and we were not equipped with spotlights) were still hanging around
near where they've been observed over the last few weeks, but not in the same
exact location.

The birds were quite vocal with the adults softly giving both the whinny and
tremolo calls back and forth to each other and the one fledgling offering some
interesting vocalizations as well, including what sounded like an abbreviated
version of a Saw-whet's "tooting"...something I've never heard before from a
Screech.

It was great to see that these birds are still doing well, although it's no
surprise considering they picked a very quiet part of campus in which to set up
shop.

Best,
Scott

Subscribe, Configuration and