This morning while walking the dog I found a Nelson's Sparrow somewhere
other than Hog Hole. I doubt if the bird can be relocated, but then, who
knows what else may be in the same location?

There is a field of tall grass (switchgrass?) along the west side of the
northern portion of Bluegrass Lane (that is, Bluegrass just south of
Hanshaw). I discovered this morning that there is an unpaved track that runs
north/south through the middle of the switchgrass. The northern portion of
this track is more or less dry, but the southern (lower) portion is quite
damp. As I was walking through the switchgrass along this track, I flushed
many sparrows, mostly Song and Savannah, but also the one Nelson's. The
Nelson's was, not surprisingly, at the southern (wetter) end, and not too
far from the edge of the patch of switchgrass. It popped up and perched near
the top of the grass for about a minute, semi-concealed but with a decent
view of the breast and facial pattern, and then dropped down again.

Good birding,

tss

--
Thomas S. Schulenberg