Livia and I walked out the access road from the Liddell Lab on Freese
Road again this evening and this time found *5* VESPER SPARROWS along
the grassy track and the edge of the dry dirt field just east of the
single tall tree. The were foraging somewhat separately, but upon
being disturbed coalesced together and for quite a while all five were
visible in one binocular field. At one point two flew into the tree,
giving their high-pitched call notes. A few minutes later, one bird
sang from the field, after which one of the birds in the tree began to
sing brightly for a few repetitions. When we left, the birds had flown
to the north side of the dirt field.

Other birds in the area included several SAVANNAH SPARROWS being very
skulky in the grass, a flyover AMERICAN PIPIT, and a flyover COMMON
LOON heading north. At Sapsucker Woods today I saw at least three FOX
SPARROWS continuing where I reported them a while ago, in the bushy
area just before the trail enters the woods along the powerline cut on
the east side. Another PIED-BILLED GREBE has joined the one on the
pond, and they were making some noises at each other today.

I checked quite a few spots on the lake this morning as well.
Highlights included three LONG-TAILED DUCKS, two WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS,
several HORNED GREBES, and one RED-THROATED LOON at Myers Point; and
three LONG-TAILED DUCKS and a RED-NECKED GREBE from the railroad track
crossing north of East Shore Park.

Cheers,
-Jay

--