Hi all,
After sleeping in today Bob and Ann picked me up for a trip up the lake to see
what was new. It was a funny day with the weather. Although we had some new
birds for the year, numbers were low, and we had to work to get them. At Mud
Lock the female Bald Eagle was vocalizing almost constantly with their, I
think, too wimpy raptor call. It was nice to hear Savanna and Swamp Sparrows
again.
Here are some highlights from a few of our stops including the surprise
Black-crowned Night Herons sitting in a tree at the start of Towpath Rd and our
first Common Moorhen at Matin's Tract. We missed the shorebirds on the
auto-loop the first time around probably because a Peregrine Falcon was
hunting. The second loop was the charm.

Location:     Lake Road
Observation date:     4/17/11
Notes:     40 deg. cloudy, gentle/mod.- breeze
Number of species:     3

Northern Harrier     1
European Starling     2
Savannah Sparrow     1

This report was generated automatically by eBird
v2(http://ebird.org<http://ebird.org/>)

Location:     Montezuma NWR--Auto Loop
Observation date:     4/17/11
Notes:     40 deg. cloudy, gentle/mod.- breeze. No large numbers of any birds.
Number of species:     16

Canada Goose     X
American Wigeon     X
Mallard     3
Blue-winged Teal     X
Northern Shoveler     X
Green-winged Teal     X
Common Merganser     2
Pied-billed Grebe     2
Red-tailed Hawk     1
Peregrine Falcon     1
Herring Gull (American)     1
European Starling     X
Song Sparrow     X
Swamp Sparrow     1
Red-winged Blackbird     X
Common Grackle     X

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org

Location:     Montezuma NWR - Towpath Rd.
Observation date:     4/17/11
Notes:     40 deg. cloudy, gentle/mod.- breeze. Eagles were all imm.
Number of species:     23

Trumpeter Swan     1
Wood Duck     6
Green-winged Teal (American)     40
Pied-billed Grebe     4
Double-crested Cormorant     30
Great Blue Heron     5
Black-crowned Night-Heron     2
Turkey Vulture     1
Osprey     1
Bald Eagle     4
Northern Harrier     1
Bonaparte's Gull     16
Ring-billed Gull     120
Herring Gull (American)     1
Caspian Tern     2
American Crow     X
Tufted Titmouse     1
American Robin     4
Cedar Waxwing     X
Song Sparrow     2
Swamp Sparrow     1
Red-winged Blackbird     X
Brown-headed Cowbird     1

This report was generated automatically by eBird
v2(http://ebird.org<http://ebird.org/>)

Location:     Marten's Tract
Observation date:     4/17/11
Notes:     40 deg. cloudy, gentle/mod.- breeze. Small numbers of Ducks
Number of species:     5

Canada Goose     X
Northern Pintail     X
Green-winged Teal (American)     X
Common Moorhen     1
gull sp.     X
Song Sparrow     1

This report was generated automatically by eBird
v2(http://ebird.org<http://ebird.org/>)

Location:     N. Montezuma WMA--Railroad Rd.
Observation date:     4/17/11
Notes:     40 deg. cloudy, gentle/mod.- breeze
Number of species:     14

Canada Goose     X
American Wigeon     X
Mallard     X
American Bittern     1
Turkey Vulture     14
Virginia Rail     2
Killdeer     1
Caspian Tern     1
Tree Swallow     200
Barn Swallow     1
American Robin     X
Song Sparrow     1
Swamp Sparrow     3
Red-winged Blackbird     X

This report was generated automatically by eBird
v2(http://ebird.org<http://ebird.org/>)

Location:     Montezuma NWR--Auto Loop
Observation date:     4/17/11
Notes:     40 deg. cloudy, gentle/mod.- breeze. A quick drive by the new
shorebird spot.
Number of species:     5

Killdeer     1
Pectoral Sandpiper     5