Susie & I spent 1.5 hrs. at the large parking lot at the end of the paved
portion of Hammond Hill Rd., hoping for goshawk courtship displays.  The
goshawks did not show there, but a pair of RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS emerged from
the woods.  One did a series of steep dives and calls before drifting to the
south; the other answered the calls, soaring after the first.  Both did
several short series of rapid and deep wing flapping which appeared to be
part of the displays for this species.  During the calling, a BARRED OWL
hooted twice apparently in answer (for some reason).  Immediately after the
hawks disappeared, a BLUE JAY began a good imitation of the hawks' call
note.  The female AMER. CROW continued her begging cries, a few at roughly
15 minute intervals.  There are 3 other CROWS in close attendance.

In the woods nearby were 2 E. PHOEBES, a BROWN THRASHER, 2 BROWN CREEPERS,
and a singing YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER.

After coffee and a doughnut from Clark's Market, we walked down Signal Tower
Rd. quite a ways, but encountered only 2 RAVENS.

S. & S. Fast

Brooktondale