After a discussion about Cape May Warblers  I decided to stop at the Ithaca
City Cemetary to  check the tall spruces.  I didn't get that far. Just below
the Stewart Ave. entrance  there's a short road that goes off sharply to the
north and over that road and up toward Stewart Ave. stands a white pine with
its top 20' dead and sere.  I saw a lump near the top that turned out to be a
MERLIN with its back to me, either grooming or picking at some food.  After a
minute of watching it, it dive bombed a cardinal and then flew to the south
into another white pine.  I refound it perched near a dense packing of sticks
that might be a nest. To find the putative nest tree find the bench with the
short flagpole on the left of the main road where it bends sharply to the
right.  Stand across the road (on the north side) at the bend and sight to the
left of the flagpole looking SSE.  There are several pines up there just 50
yards or so below Stewart AVe.  The bird and nest (or collection of sticks) was
in the left-most tree maybe 20-25'  from its top.  Merlins have been reported
thereabouts perennially but this the first one I've found there.

Marginal digivideo through my scope at: http://youtu.be/azf-ZZlmi9Q

Best...Stuart