George & all .. ...

Our 56 yr. old son had Lyme last spring/early summer & was very seriously ill for close to 2 mos., initially refusing to go to a dr.. I'm so thankful that a man with whom he works told him how CRITICALLY ill his own daughter became from the effects of Lyme.

This was the 2nd time in 3 yrs., with last yr. being FAR, FAR, FAR worse than the first bout. (Both times the ticks were in hard to spot places & it was the red rash that made him aware.)

He had unrelenting high fever for three wks. with temp. that finally peaked at 103.4 deg. .... accompanied by chills, sweating, dreadful, unending headache, as well as aches & pains everywhere. Whether it was "just" the Lyme or his bad reaction to Doxycycline we'll never know but his hands were very red, very sore & very swollen with blisters deep in the flesh & eventually the skin peeled off. He has had flu/cold-like bouts several times since then. From what I've read, these & other weird effects can continue to crop up.

Folks, this is not a simple "virus, it'll-go-away-in-due-time" type thing even tho' it acts like a virus. If you have the red rash .. get to the dr. fast. Blood tests rarely come back "positive" but that rash is the basic thing to look for. Seems that there are drs. who tend to pooh-pooh the whole idea but besides our son, we have a friend in NH, heart of tick country, who has been through severe medical crises since having Lyme twice. AND pay attention to the side effects warnings about Doxycycline .... esp. the part about light/sun-sensitivity.

 Fritzie
Susan wrote:   An added bonus… not a single tick in sight!

George wrote: several of the ones I _have_ seen were already attached to me. One of these bites produced a vague circular rash about 3" in diameter. I took the full course of Doxycycline, just in case (a neighbor of mine actually came down with Lyme Disease last year). Better safe than sorry.