All,

The forecast track of Sandy is highly unusual  and could make
for some very interesting birding in its wake. It will all depend
on where the center of the storm tracks relative to central NY.

Latest model guidance and the hurricane center's forecast track
show that by Tuesday into Wednesday the storm's center will be nearly
stalled from north central PA to central NY. The storm rapidly moves west
from off the east coast back toward our region Monday/Tuesday and then stalls
out
and weakens over our area. The storm spends all its time out over the open
ocean
until its rapid westward motion to our area. Will Cayuga lake/Whitney Point Dam
and other inland lakes/rivers see pelagics, tropical-like birds etc?? Tuesday
will be bad with
high winds and heavy rains given this track...Wednesday conditions
improve...so either Wednesday or especially Thursday could present a unique
opportunity for mega rarities in our area if this forecast pans out. I can't
overemphasize
enough to be safe first!!!!

E Bird has a nice website on all this....
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/hurricane-sandy

Check it out and let's hope we make it through the storm with minimal damage
and maximum birds!!!

Dave Nicosia