From: bounce-69402228-9286...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-69402228-9286...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of david nicosia
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 10:02 PM
To: Cayugabirds- L; Bluewing
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Hurricane Sandy and Birding Potential

All,

The forecast track of Sandy is highly unusual  and could make

for some very interesting birding in its wake. It will all depend

on where the center of the storm tracks relative to central NY.

Latest model guidance and the hurricane center's forecast track

show that by Tuesday into Wednesday the storm's center will be nearly

stalled from north central PA to central NY. The storm rapidly moves west

from off the east coast back toward our region Monday/Tuesday and then
stalls out

and weakens over our area. The storm spends all its time out over the open
ocean

until its rapid westward motion to our area. Will Cayuga lake/Whitney Point
Dam

and other inland lakes/rivers see pelagics, tropical-like birds etc??
Tuesday will be bad with

high winds and heavy rains given this track...Wednesday conditions

improve...so either Wednesday or especially Thursday could present a unique

opportunity for mega rarities in our area if this forecast pans out. I can't
overemphasize

enough to be safe first!!!!

E Bird has a nice website on all this....
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/hurricane-sandy

Check it out and let's hope we make it through the storm with minimal damage

and maximum birds!!!

Dave Nicosia

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME> Welcome and Basics

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES> Rules and Information