This is from the BNA article on Carolina Chickadees, supporting Geo's
observation:
Winter flocks move horizontally at an average rate of 6 m/min, with a daily
pattern of rapid movement in early morning (07:00–10:00: 8 m/min) and in late
afternoon until roosting (15:00–19:00: 7 m/min), with slower movement during
midday (10:00–15:00: 5 m/min; Wallace 1970). As flock size increases, so does
rate of movement (Morse 1970).

Eben McLane