In the last week of Dec and on the CBC count day, I carried out a number of stationary counts from a parking lot at IC to see what was moving in the mornings. There was regular southbound passage of redpoll flocks, at least in the first two hours of daylight. For example, on Jan 1 I had three southbound flocks, totally ~130, from 7:45-8:45AM.

The only other passerine species moving was crow, with a steady trickle southbound down the east side of the inlet valley in the morning. Beginning at some point in the early afternoon, there appeared to be a return northbound flight of crows. During my observations I saw no northbound flocks of redpolls.

My sense in watching the same phenomenon at my house that Laura described is that they occasionally take breaks that are unrelated to normal back and forth from being spooked or from real predators.

Bill E