I've just set up a new 2014 table for birders to record how many species they observe in the Cayuga Lake Basin this calendar year. It's called the David Cup, named after Karl David, a bird fanatic who taught math at Wells, and it's been going on for about 20 years (other people know more history than I do).

http://cayugabirds.pbworks.com/w/page/6630177/FrontPage

The 2014 table is at the top of the page. Below it are tables for 2013 for those who haven't finished filling them in. Tables for 2014 for other categories will be added soon.

Why join? I find that it helps show when the various species are found and by whom, which helps me find them as well. Some people find that comeraderie helps get them out looking for birds, and some regard this as a friendly competition. For anyone who is interested in joining this personal challenge, contact any of the people whose name you see already on the table or on past years' tables, and they can give you the password so you can claim a line.