Martin,
    I think the red / rarely yellow crown patch on Hairy and Downy would
indicate a juvenile bird.  Might see that in the summer/fall, but I'd be
really surprised to see it this time of year.  Others on the list will
surely correct me if I'm wrong with the timing of when these crown feathers
get replaced ;)    Best thing is if the bird comes back again, try and get
a photo.  American Black-backed and Three-toed would both be true rarities
in our region and I'm sure many of us birders would like to see it.
  Cheers,
    Jeff Gerbracht