Nice Geo...good to know Acadians are still in there. The Cayuta and Hendershot Gulfs offer unique & wonderful local habitat rarely visited by local birders -- the trail alongside the former is especially nice.

Bill E

-----Original Message----- From: Geo Kloppel
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:23 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Hendershot Gulf

Curious to know if any Acadian Flycatchers were still nesting in Hendershot Gulf, I parked my car along Swan Hill Road at 7:30 this morning, stepped into my muckmasters, waded across the creek and entered the upper end of the narrow gorge. I slowly worked my way down through, encountering Canada Warblers, Black-throated Blues, Winter Wrens, Hermit Thrushes and other fun stuff, along with clouds of gnats and mosquitos (happily these were not biting; the head net remained in my pocket). It wasn't until I reached the lower end of the state-owned section at 8:17 that I found an Acadian Flycatcher singing in the hemlocks. I thought it should be easy to spot an Acadian nest in that narrow place, so I took my time looking, but I had no luck with that.

I spent 2 hours in there. Could easily have spent more, especially if I'd been prepared to botanize or look at invertebrates. Rugged going though, climbing over fallen trees and such. I'll be limping for the rest of the day!

-Geo Kloppel