If there is one thing I've learned, it's that people won't care about
protecting wild spaces and wild animals if they don't see how special these
spaces and animals are.

Yes, the most important charge of these refuges is to provide a haven for
wildlife in protected, vitally important habitat. But nwrs also see public
education and the affording of recreation (birding, hiking, fishing,
hunting, photography) as an important part of their mission. I spent some
time talking to refuge managers on a recent trip to North Dakota and
learned firsthand about the importance of this.

>From the NWRA web site, at
http://refugeassociation.org/what-we-do/friends-groups-engagement/recreation/

"At least one national wildlife refuge is located in every U.S. state and
territory. These areas are set aside primarily to protect wildlife and
habitats, but they are also created for the use and enjoyment of the
public. These landscapes belong to all of us, and we each have the right to
explore refuges responsibly, with an eye to safeguarding them for future
generations to enjoy."

I think thoughtful, responsible use of a refuge is in the best interests of
both wildlife and people, and I hope that moving forward, Montezuma NWR can
find that sensitive balance.

Melissa

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Marie P. Read <m...@cornell.edu> wrote:

> Yes, wildlife refuges are not "nature parks", they are set aside to
> provide a refugeā€¦for the wildlife, a refuge from HUMANS and their
> encroachment!
>
> Marie (yes I'm a human, yes I encroach with the best of 'em!)
>
> Marie Read Wildlife Photography
> 452 Ringwood Road
> Freeville NY  13068 USA
>
> Phone  607-539-6608
> e-mail   m...@cornell.edu
>
> http://www.marieread.com
>
> Author of Sierra Wings: Birds of the Mono Lake Basin    Available here:
>

> http://marieread.photoshelter.com/gallery/Sierra-Wings-Birds-of-the-Mono-Lake-Basin/G0000NlCxX37uTzE/C0000BPFGij6nLfE

Melissa Groo
photographer . wildlife biographer . educator
www.melissagroo.com

Follow my work on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/melissa.groo