From what I've read, the red-tailed hawk occurs in Central America but not
in South America. When I was growing up in the 1950s, I was a big fan of
Disney's True Life Adventure films, one of which was The Living Desert. Though
it's been about 60 years since I've seen the film, I have a clear memory of a
sequence in which a red-tailed hawk dove through a flying mass of bats that
were either just departing from or returning to the cave in which they roosted
by day.  As I recall, the red-tail eventually caught a bat after repeated
failures. I'm sure an accipiter could have done better!

Lindsay Goodloe

I think one of the BBC specials shows red-tailed hawks catching bats.  Big
bats, in South America...I think.

David Diaz
Tburg, NY