Larry,
The simple answer is photoperiod. Red-winged BBs and others will migrate when
day
length reaches a certain threshold for the species. This instinctive response is
often coupled to their food requirements so insectivores will wait until the
days
get longer and most probably correspond to insect hatches enroute. Red-wings are
considered half-hearty but I wish them luck finding food other than at feeders
right
now. The average arrival date was a few days ago. Have seen several reports of
TVs
all winter long but none on their roost (NWS Fire Academy roof) in Montour
Falls.

Of course unless they sense a pressure gradient indicative of an impending
storm,
they come ahead on that increasing day length.
John

--
John and Sue Gregoire
Field Ornithologists