This nest platform is installed atop one of several poles for lights for
McGovern Fields, replacing (literally) a nest which Ospreys built atop the same
pole, right? McGovern Fields occupy the NE corner of the fields between East
Hill Plaza, Ellis Hollow Road, Game Farm Road and Cascadilla Creek with the
east end of the East Ithaca Recreationway.

In case other Ospreys start nesting near Game Farm Road, maybe refering to
McGovern Fields would be better, at least until another of those light poles
gets built upon!

The Ithaca reservoir and Commonland are along Six-mile Creek south of NYS-79,
which is in the next drainage behind Snyder Hill and perhaps difficult to see
from McGovern Fields, so was that really where you meant the Osprey flew?

How do you ID the birds as individuals? Is it an assumption based on gender
(general plumage and relative size) and presence or behavior at the site, or
are there specific characteristics of individual birds that you use?

I recently saw an Osprey perched beside the platform at the NW corner of Newman
Golf Course and wondered if that indicated it was being used. Moments later I
saw an Osprey flying from that direction toward Union Fields, so now I wonder
if it was one of the Union Fields pair just checking it out. I don't know how
you keep track of individuals.

--Dave Nutter