This morning Tim Lenz was scanning Cayuga Lake from Taughannock Falls State
Park when he saw a PACIFIC LOON fly north past him, circle back, go south, and
drop to the water, disappearing in shimmer aligned with and apparently closer
to the Myers Point lighthouse. He also saw 4 Red-throated and 30 Common Loons
and a Red-necked Grebe.

I succumbed to temptation, drove to Myers, and did not see any Pacific Loon,
but there was considerable shimmer, particularly looking along the lake toward
Taughannock. However, I did see 2 Common Loons and a Red-necked Grebe among
numerous gulls on the water to the north past Salt Point and fairly close to
the east shore. I also saw a Common Loon to the west from the lighthouse.
Scanning from Ladoga Park Rd I saw another Common Loon in the bay to the south.

On my way home I paused along East Shore Drive just north of the “Town of
Ithaca” sign. I turned around and parked in the gravel area on the northbound
side near #1143 and scoped from there rather than crossing the street. From
here I saw 2 more Common Loons as well as the flock of female-type BLACK
SCOTERS which Mark Chao recently mentioned. They were swimming and diving in
the middle of the lake directly out from here, providing a much better scope
view than I had from East Shore Park, and I believe their number has increased
to 20.

A quick scan from the east end of Stewart Park revealed an assortment of water
birds, including Mallards, Buffleheads, Greater and Lesser Scaup, Surf and
White-winged Scoters, Common Mergansers, Pied-billed Grebes, Double-crested
Cormorants, and American Coots.

- - Dave Nutter