Ken Kemphues and I will be leading a full-day field trip around Cayuga Lake
this Saturday, December 7. We'll be focusing on wintering waterfowl, but
will also look for wintering field birds.

Snow is predicted for Friday, but Saturday looks like it will be partly
sunny, with temperatures in the 20's. Bundle up with extra layers for the
cold. Bring something to drink, snacks and/or lunch, binoculars, and a
spotting scope if you have one. We will also make a stop to purchase lunch
food.

Swans, Loons, and Grebes are out on the lake along with a variety of
wintering ducks. In the fields today we found a single Lapland Longspur
with several Horned Larks along Lake Road, and Snow Buntings in the King
Ferry area. No guarantees for these on Saturday, but we'll take a look.

Meet at the east end of Stewart Park at 8:00 am for carpooling. (Turn right
as you enter the park). We expect to return by 4:30 pm.

This trip is open to all. See you Saturday!

Diane Morton