Dave I've read where migrating American golden plovers stash food items in
their plumage from S. American to the N. American continent for a quick
bite when needed. I'll be darned but I can't seem to remember what the
items were. I'll look it up when I go home. Maybe your Scoters do the same.
Pete Sar