There are 60+ solar projects in various stages of development across NY. The
big one in Cayuga County is call the Garnet Energy Center. The siting approval
process can be followed at:
http://documents.dps.ny.gov/public/MatterManagement/CaseMaster.aspx?MatterSeq=61792&MNO=20-F-0043

The solar panels and facility will be built on 1300 of the 2000 acre project.
There is an Intervenor group formally involved in the proceeding called the
Rural Preservation and Net Conservation Benefit Coalition.  They are not trying
to stop the project, but trying to encourage pollinator friendly planting and
get some mitigation land set aside. I haven’t seen any sign that the developer
is consenting.

The documentation of the impact to breeding Horned Lark and Vesper Sparrow
appears like it will be limited, so folks birding in the proposed project area
(not far from Montezuma NWR) can contribute by looking for these two species
and submitting sitings to eBird, especially this May and June. The project area
has recently grown and maps can be found at the link above.

Besides the renewable energy benefit, taking fields of neonic-laden corn and
soy seeds and their associated herbicides out of production is a good thing.

As far as we know, solar is more friendly to migratory birds than big wind
regarding direct impacts, however no follow-up fatality studies are currently
planned for ANY solar projects in NY.  Substantial avian impacts from solar
have apparently been a well-kept secret in California, so we need to keep an
eye on it and push for some NY solar fatality studies.  How could a grebe
mistake a solar field for water? I don’t know, but it happens.

In my current understanding, a 200 MW solar project in NY would have much less
avian impact than the equivalent energy production from 70 600-ft high wind
turbines in the same location.

Bill Evans
Danby