First I’ll set the scene, then describe some odd behavior others saw, add my
own observations, and speculate on what was going on. You can read a more
succinct version in my eBird report if/when the unusually large number of
Chickadees gets approved as part of the public data base.

A couple mornings ago, while on one of my frequent walks at Allan H Treman
State Marine Park, I met a couple of fellow birders, Leigh Stivers and a
companion whose name do not recall (my apologies!). From a distance, I had seen
them looking intently toward the tops of the big Cottonwood trees at the NE
corner of the marina which are closest to the mouth of Cayuga Inlet. They were
standing on the peninsula north of the mouth of Treman Marina. This location,
as one looks across the Inlet, is about opposite the base of the White
Lighthouse Jetty and the point of Jetty Woods (aka the Cornell Biological Field
Station, aka the Lighthouse Point Natural Area). I asked what they had seen: a
couple of Yellow-rumped Warblers foraging in the trees, which are to be
expected now, and a small flock of Chickadees hovering above the trees, which
we agreed was odd.

Having not seen any warblers yet this year, but having seen various warbler
species there in past springtimes, I vowed to study those trees more
thoroughly. And I recalled that in previous years I had also seen groups of
Black-capped Chickadees a bit farther to the south, in the trees near the park
office in numbers bigger than a typical winter foraging flock and well into the
time when Chickadees here are generally paired up, on territory, and probably
nesting.

This morning I stood where Leigh & friend stood, and I stared a couple minutes
at those Cottonwoods, which currently are covered with their flowers but
without leaves, and I saw only a few Common Grackles passing through on local
business. So I took my usual post immediately north of and slightly shaded by
those trees to scope past the White Lighthouse Jetty to check the waters along
and off Stewart Park. Then I heard a couple of “tip” notes, which I  traced to
two male Myrtle Yellow-rumped Warblers overhead in a Cottonwood. (Success! I am
into my personal Warbler season!). Then from somewhere a bit west in the canopy
a Ruby-crowned Kinglet sang, so I stared for that. I never saw the Kinglet, but
in addition to a local foraging Titmouse, I saw a couple Chickadees in and
above the treetops working their way east, but more traveling rather than
foraging. They accumulated in the easternmost large Cottonwood. A few flew up,
a bit out over the water, and quickly came back to the tree. Then some flew
away over the Inlet. But more arrived from the west. This was around 9am.

I returned to that grassy peninsula toward the mouth of the marina, where Leigh
& friend had been, so I could watch the top of that Cottonwood without staring
at the sun. Over the course of a few minutes, Chickadees gathered in that
half-dead tree crown. Each bird that I got a decent look at was a Black-capped
Chickadee. Then a few would fly up and out over the Inlet, but return. More
gathered, adding from above the trees to the west. Then a larger group of the
tiny birds would fly up and out over the Inlet, and most or all would continue
across the Inlet and out of sight. Several times I saw this happen. I saw
flocks as few as 15 and as many as 50 head out diagonally (E or slightly ESE)
across the Inlet. One flock I was able to follow with binoculars into a similar
greening crown of a big tree (probably another Cottonwood) in Jetty Woods. I
watched about a hundred birds do this, thus what eBird rightfully considers a
surprising number of Chickadees on my list.

I think these Chickadees are long-distance migrants returning to the northern
part of their range. They want to go north, and like other migrants I have
watched, they view Cayuga Lake, which is oriented NW-SE, as a barrier to their
preferred direction, so when I saw them they were going east around the south
end of the lake before they could continue going north. They are nervous about
flying over open water with no cover, and they are right to be nervous because
Merlins have been common here in past years. The Chickadees have some safety in
numbers as they cross because a Merlin would only take 1 out of whatever group
it attacked, but the raptor might be more distracted by many birds and thus get
none. Perhaps the Chickadees try to stay low above trees and forests as they
travel so they can quickly dive into the protection among the branches and
twigs.

I wonder if others have heard of or noticed these phenomena, and if this
explanation sounds right.

- - Dave Nutter