folks,
    keep one thing in mind in the process of the PC packets getting to the
switch infrastructure.  the IP phone is a switch itself, so as packets come
in port 0 (PC) and go out port 1 (to switch) those layer 2 headers are
'touched'.  So, as it gets forwarded upstream (onto a 802.1q trunk, which is
the only place that COS can exist) those packets can be marked
(rewritten) with the appropriate COS value.