Josh,

I was in the same boat when I began my studies. Ultimately, my lab existed
in about 3 phases:
Phase 1:
3x 1720s
1x 2600xm
1x 2600
1x 3640
1x 3500xl
4x 7940

This allowed me to do the basic UCM configuration, but DSP configuration was
based on the older config style, and CME/CUE support was limited to older
versions. I quickly found myself frustrated with the limitations,
particularly when trying to work through the IPExpert labs.

Phase 2:
I was able to borrow a couple of 2800s (one with CUE and switch HWIC), and
re-arrange the lab setup. This allowed me to replicate more of the lab
materials, although I still had to be cognizant of HW/SW limitations while
testing and troubleshooting. I used this setup for the majority of my
studies.
One of the main limitations of this setup was the flexibility in practicing
different lab scenarios. Any revision of the PSTN router configuration would
end up being a mini-lab by itself, which, while valuable, took away from
time dedicated to other topics.

Phase 3:
I went completely online with proctor labs. I went virtual for about the
last 2 weeks of my test prep. The biggest advantage for me was not wasting
time updating configurations and focusing on the tasks.

I think that it's most important to have similar hardware in this order:
PSTN
BR2
HQ
BR1

Having said that, my PSTN/WAN config was actually spread across 2x 1720s and
the 3640, however, so if you're willing to pick and choose the labs you work
on, you can drop the PSTN router to the tail end of that list.

Hope that helps!
mike