You answered your own question. Both DNs are registered to CUCM and are in
partitions that the other's CSS can see. The signaling is between each phone
and UCM. The media is built directly phone to phone. If CAC failed the call
setup, then AAR could be invoked to use the PSTN. Since CAC allows the call,
the gateways aren't involved in the call (other than providing IP network
connectivity.)

DQ
d...@cisco.com

Sent from my iPhone