Hi everyone,

I am refining a structure from a protein that has crystallised from more than
3M NaCl.
Some of the 2Fo-Fc density peaks are rather large for beeing waters, and after
refinement of
waters at these positions in Refmac there is still positive difference density.
But when refining a ion like Cl or Na at these positions, I get some negative
difference density.

So I thought that not in all molecules the positions are fully occupied with
either a water or an ion,
and tried to refine a water AND an ion at the same position, but each with half
occupancy.

That seem to work quite well (no pos or neg difference density peaks), but
refmac is moving
them appart from each other (~1A)?!?
Both, ion or water are refining more or less at the same position when refining
either of them
at full occupancy at these positions?

Apologies since I vaguely remember that there was a similar thread a while ago,
but can't find it....

thanks a lot.

Sabine