If you are having similar problems, this should not be happening but this is Garib's answer:

If you are using ccp4i then you should switch "sugar-sugar and sugar-peptide if" to "defined in file only"
That is under "Setup Geometric Restraints"

This works,
Jan

This was my original question:
Refmac5 keeps creating and to my suspicion USING links between an ion and sugar even if I use 'make LINKS N' and when I remove the links from the .pdb and the created .cif files Refmac stops as it 'finds new ligand' and I should go and check the library.
Any other methods I can avoid Refmac5 creating those links?
Jan

Bits of Refmac output:
//////////////////////////////////
Data line--- make check NONE
Data line--- make hydrogen YES hout NO peptide NO cispeptide YES ssbridge YES symmetry YES sugar YES connectivity NO * link NO*
Data line--- refi     type REST     resi MLKF     meth CGMAT     bref ISOT
Data line--- ncyc 10
Data line--- scal type SIMP reso 2.102 137.361 LSSC ANISO EXPE
Data line--- solvent YES     VDWProb 1.4     IONProb 0.8     RSHRink 0.8
Data line--- weight     MATRIX 0.3
Data line--- monitor MEDIUM torsion 10.0 distance 10.0 angle 10.0 plane 10.0 chiral 10.0 bfactor 10.0 bsphere 10.0 rbond 10.0 ncsr 10.0 Data line--- labin FP=F_run3__run4 SIGFP=SIGF_run3__run4 FREE=FreeR_flag Data line--- labout FC=FC FWT=FWT PHIC=PHIC PHWT=PHWT DELFWT=DELFWT PHDELWT=PHDELWT FOM=FOM
////////////////////////////////////
*WARNING : description of link:GAL-NA   not found in the dictionary.
          link will be created with bond_lenth =   2.240
WARNING : link:GAL-NA   is found dist =     2.247 ideal_dist=     2.240
ch:Ga res: 2 GAL at:O6 .->Na res: 2 NA at:NA .

WARNING : link:GAL-NA   is found dist =     2.250 ideal_dist=     2.240
ch:Ge res: 6 GAL at:O6 .->Ne res: 6 NA at:NA .*

This is from the current Refmac manual:
N - check links between residues and *give information about them in the log file, but do not use them UNLESS they are specified by record LINK in the input coordinate file*.
At the moment there are no LINKS records in the input pdb file.