There is a GUI option - under reflection utilities - convert to mtz and one option is from CNS
Have you tried that?

You will have to assign laabels for all the columns you want to keep - can you attach the top few lines ( with header) of your CNS file and I will prepare a script.
Eleanor

Julia Warren wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am a relatively new user of Refmac and I have encountered a problem: I would like to begin my refinement with an annealing step in CNS, and then continue my refinement in Refmac because I would like to use TLS parameter. My problem is that I would like to retain the RFree reflections designated at the beginning of my refinement and so cannot just begin in Refmac, which would automatically generate new RFree if I just started with my .sca file anew. The CNS column labels when generating an .hkl file (and then a .cv file to create RFree tags) are INDEX (HKL), IOBS, SIGI, FOBS, SIGMA, and TEST. I tried using the CCP4 program "F2mtz", with the option "Create full unique set of reflections and keep existing FreeR Data" so that I can retain the same set of reflections in my r-work vs. r-free, however I am afraid that I am running in to formatting errors (maybe?). It seems that when I input data with the columns INDEX (HKL), IOBS, SIGI, and TEST (to be consistent with the default fortran formatting listed when "X-PLOR/CNS" is chosen as the import reflection file, just in case that was my problem), I receive the following error:

Data line--- COMPLETE FREE=
MtzParseLabin: run out of labels trying to match "FREE"
 FREERFLAG:  Error in label assignments in LABIN

The Fortran format listed for these six columns (H, K, L, IOBS, SIGI, TEST) is:
'(6X,3F5.0,6X,F10.3,7X,F10.3,6X,F10.0)'

I can see from the log file that the program has created the following column labels:

H K L FUNI SIGFUNI IOBS SIGI TEST

Is this a formatting problem?  If so, how can I get around this?

Also, I tried running F2mtz but WITHOUT the option "Create full unique set of reflections" and although I receive no error, I notice that only these six columns are generated (HKL, IOBS, SIGI, and TEST) while mtz files created directly from the .sca file contain the following columns: (H K L FreeR_flag F SIGF DANO SIGDANO F(+) SIGF(+) F(-) SIGF(-) ISYM). Is it a problem to use this mtz to continue my refinement in Refmac? Will I run into problems if I try to export this mtz into a file that can be used say in Shelx?

Is there any easier/better way to convert .hkl files with Rfree tags into mtz files that are acceptable to Refmac? If I will use the program F2mtz, are there certain inputs to be especially careful about that it might be easy for a new-be to overlook? I am using cns_solve_1.1 and Refmac5.0

Thanks for your help,
Julia

begin:vcard
fn:Eleanor  Dodson