Phil -

Yes, I'm one of those who's been fighting this battle for as long as I
can remember!  Though actually I have to disagree with you that it's the
practice of setting the contour level as a multiple of 'sigma' (actually
the RMSD from the mean as you say) that's idiotic.  There's nothing
wrong with that (and indeed it's normal statistical practice), as long
as the value of sigma stored in the map header IS correct (that really
goes without saying!).  The RMSD as an estimate of the uncertainty (at
least for wFo-DFc maps anyway) is only valid provided it's calculated
using exactly an integral number of a.u.'s (e.g. 1 a.u. or half a cell
if there's at least one 2-fold, or a whole cell, i.e. N a.u.'s where N
MUST BE an integer).  What's really idiotic is recalculating 'sigma'
when N is NOT an integer, which is of course usually the case when
you're cutting out a piece of map or extending it to cover the contents
of a PDB file.  The uncertainty of the density values doesn't change
simply because you decide to look at a small piece of it, rather it's an
inherent property of the map.

Some time ago I updated your excellent 'extend' (but for some reason
obsoleted) program (now called 'extends') to fix this problem (mainly as
I recall because Kevin C. didn't think it was feasible to fix mapmask),
i.e. it simply copies the RMSD from the input map to the output one
instead of recalculating it every time.  Additionally, it rejects
outliers in wFo-Fc maps (i.e. 'signal' as opposed to 'noise) from the
uncertainty calculation, since the uncertainty should not include these.
Here at Astex, to save disk space we store 'mini-maps' just enclosing
the binding site(s) of our protein-ligand complexes, and if you try
recalculating sigma for these based on just the volume of the cut-out
map, not surprisingly you get really idiotic values!

Sadly and rather frustratingly, extends has languished in the
'unsupported' area, so of course hardly anyone ever uses it, and a
problem which should have been fixed long ago is perpetuated.

Cheers

-- Ian

Disclaimer

This communication is confidential and may contain privileged information
intended solely for the named addressee(s). It may not be used or disclosed
except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you are not the intended
recipient you must not review, use, disclose, copy, distribute or take any
action in reliance upon it. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify Astex Therapeutics Ltd by emailing [EMAIL PROTECTED] and destroy
all copies of the message and any attached documents.

Astex Therapeutics Ltd monitors, controls and protects all its messaging
traffic in compliance with its corporate email policy. The Company accepts no
liability or responsibility for any onward transmission or use of emails and
attachments having left the Astex Therapeutics domain.  Unless expressly
stated, opinions in this message are those of the individual sender and not of
Astex Therapeutics Ltd. The recipient should check this email and any
attachments for the presence of computer viruses. Astex Therapeutics Ltd
accepts no liability for damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
E-mail is susceptible to data corruption, interception, unauthorized amendment,
and tampering, Astex Therapeutics Ltd only send and receive e-mails on the
basis that the Company is not liable for any such alteration or any
consequences thereof.