[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 12/04/2006 02:08:48 PM:

> Hi
>
> Just a quick question.. for doign hanging drop, is there anyway that we
> can decrease the pH of the drops on a (somewhat) controlled way, say over

> a period of couple of weeks?  Thanks
>

> Andrew

Hi Andrew -

Acetic acid is volatile, so you could use an acidic well solution with an
acetate buffer to accomplish this.  You don't need to have the well very
acidic - even pH 5 - 6 will leave enough free acetic acid to diffuse into
the drop and lower its pH.  The kinetics of this are a lot faster than
weeks, though - some tests I did in grad school suggest that it's on the
order of minutes to days depending on the pH of the drop and the well.

You could also use carbonic acid (CO2).  In a higher pH range, you could
have ammonium ion in the drop, and allow the ammonia to diffuse *out*.  I'm
not sure if chloride ions (HCl) can actually diffuse across the air gap at
neutral-ish pH - the concentration of HCl in solution will be so low.  At
pH below 6, I'll bet this works as well given enough time.

If the pH change has to happen over weeks, you'll probably need a series of
well solutions, and transfer the drop between wells every couple of days.

- Matt

--
Matthew Franklin , Ph.D.
Senior Scientist, ImClone Systems

Confidentiality Note:  This e-mail, and any attachment to it, contains
privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual(s) or entity named on the e-mail.  If the reader of this e-mail
is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
reading it is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately return it to the sender and delete it from your
system.  Thank you.