Hi

Unfortunately, recent gcc/g77/gfortran installations (on Linux and Mac
OSX, in particular; as far as I can recall, SGI compilers on Irix have
done this for a long time) force the use of dynamic libraries (I suspect
this is the same for g++) - I notice that even when I try to tie
everything down on a Mosflm build to statically link, there are still some
dynamic links forced on me (even though the linker doesn't actually tell
me it's doing this!).

Unless someone can tell me what other flags I have to link with as well as
(or instead of) "-static -static-libgcc".

grrrr....
> > On a different topics, is there really a reason for not using static
> > libraries? Dynamic libraries are a constant pain, both to users and
> > maintainers, because there are always different versions on different
> > machines (and of course we don't have all our machines on the same OS
> > version, like I imagine most people). Also the obscure error messages
> > "can't find right version of libthingy-99.9.dylib" or whatever is deeply
> > confusing to nearly all of us.
> >
> > I love stand-alone binaries with no external dependencies
> >
> > Phil
>
> I can only agree to this! And who cares nowadays about the additional
> disk space that statically compiled binaries require?
>
> Dirk.

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, MRC Centre, Hills
Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QH