Multiple overlapping salt lattices can sometimes look like protein
diffraction, as long as you're looking in only two dimensions. However, if
you can find the dominant rings, you should be able to discriminate since
the c-spacing of salt would nearly always be pretty small. Consider powder
patterns, and you should see what I mean.

Generally speaking, if your crystals visually appear to be single, and
give huge salt peaks - then they're probably salt. Exceptions - large,
non-diffracting protein crystals that have small salt crystals stuck to
them.

Ultimately, you can use the 'stick a fork in it' method: stick a needle in
your rod-like crystals and push. If you hear a crack, and see sharp clean
edges on the break - it's salt. If you feel the crystal 'give' and see
bending or pitting - it's probably protein.

Good luck!

Artem