Jeroen brings up a good point. Back in the old days, around 5 B. C. (Before Cryo), we would use a chilled air generator to blow a stream of cold air along the capillary axis to keep the crystals just above their freezing point--it made a huge difference in crystal lifetime. I recall a colleague devising an apparatus from a 50 ml conical tube. The bottom was cut off and cold air was blown in from the other end. Windows were cut in either side to allow the beam to pass & covered in mylar. This way the entire capillary was contained within the cold tube, so no temperature gradients formed along the length of the capillary (temp gradient => distillation => dead crystal). Later, we purchased a very clever goniometer head from Nonius that had a plastic cylinder attached to goniometer head, with a swivel, so the hose supplying cold air didn't get tangled during data collection...

I've often thought duplicating this apparatus when we encounter cryo problems, but I'm always stymied when trying to find a cheap and simple source of cold air. Any bright ideas?