Our AKTA FPLC has been trouble-free for 9 years, and we bought one of the early models. It has lived in a cold room, withstood periods of heavy use, periods of inactivity, and ham-handed undergraduates without incident. I think we have replaced only the injector channels and the solvent filters in those 9 years. These instruments are built like tanks, and at a small institution like ours, time is more important than money.

Roger S. Rowlett
Professor
Colgate University Presidential Scholar
Department of Chemistry
Colgate University
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, NY 13346

tel: (315)-228-7245
ofc: (315)-228-7395
fax: (315)-228-7935
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Filip Van Petegem wrote:
Hi,
I believe this subject has been touched briefly before, but does anyone have any strong feelings before or against using an Akta FPLC/purifier versus a Biorad Duo Flow? The Biorad Duo instruments are significantly cheaper; are they however also 'as good' as GE Healthcare? I'm especially interested in comments from people who have used both instruments before. Cheers Filip

--
Filip Van Petegem, PhD
Assistant Professor

phone: +1 604 827 4267
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>