Dear Paul,

That implies that phenix refine (like SHELXL, but unlike REFMAC) can
refine against data for which I+ and I- (or F+ and F-) have not been
merged. An attempt to refine f" against Friedel merged data would be
very poorly determined. Am I right in guessing that phenix refine can
only do this when then structure factors are calculated by the
classical summation and not by FFT?

Given relatively high resolution MAD data, it is at least theoretically
possible using SHELXL (and presumably also phenix refine) to refine
against I+ and I- for all wavelengths at once, this should give much
better occupancies for the selenium atoms (in the case of SHELXL it
would be necessary to use HKLF 2 input format so that a wavelength is
specified for each reflection, refine batch scale factors, use the
LAUE instruction so that the program can work out f' and f" for each
reflection, and - at least when each site is assumed to be Se or S in
different ratios - use 'free variables' for the Se occupancies). If anyone
is MAD enough to try this, I would also recommend scaling against a
reference dataset (e.g. high energy remote) rather than scaling the data
for different wavelengths separately. There is a suitable option in SCALA
and SADABS and possibly in other scaling programs as well.

Best wishes, George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,
University of Goettingen,