I'd be curious to know if there is any consensus in the community with using
the "carve" command for showing maps.  I have never felt comfortable showing
density within a cutoff radius of a particular residue or--even worse--a
ligand, and felt the figures should display the extraneous bits as well.
The burden was on the crystallographer to find an appropriate view (slab,
sigma, etc...) to display the map.

The Bobscript manual appears to agree with me on this one as it states:

http://www.strubi.ox.ac.uk/bobscript/doc24.html
"If your density is good then you will just have density over residue 999,
but if things are not so hot then you may want to cheat and just draw the
bits of density near to the selected atoms."

Just curious,
Andy
--
Andrew M. Gulick, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor
Dept. of Structural Biology, SUNY at Buffalo

http://www.hwi.buffalo.edu/Faculty/Gulick/Gulick.html
http://labs.hwi.buffalo.edu/gulick