Using SHELXL, restraints can be applied to symmetry equivalent atoms
so one can easily restrain the sulphate to be a regular tetrahedron by
restraining the S-O distances to be equal and the O1..O2, O1'..O2 etc.
distances to be equal (with or without target values). For details of
a similar example see Acta Cryst. A64 (2008) 112-122. From Eleanor's
comment it appears that REFMAC can now do this too, though I was not
aware of the facility. If you then wish to refine S anisotropically
SHELXL will also automatically generate and apply the constraints
required for the special position (in any space group), this can be
very useful for high-resolution refinements.

George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,
University of Goettingen,