You optimize that variable as well in scale-up.
That is the problem with nano-drop screening- sometimes it is near
impossible to scale up the drops. You have to re-screen around the
conditions (response surface methods can conserve experiments) because
the kinetics change so much between nano and big drops.

The smaller they are, the harder it is to scale up, so we compromise
between protein consumption and scalability. I think with most of these
machines, you _can_ tweak it to dispense in the 20-50nl range
accurately. To do that, you have to avoid using an air gap- either by
drawing (and diluting) your protein against a column of water, or by
using some other liquid (oil) between your protein and the dispensing
fluid. Many times these tiny drops yield crystals much faster because
they have more surface area to volume. But once you have them- well-
that's where I've pulled out my hair. Scale-up is hard, and for delicate
proteins (>1% crystalline hits), near impossible from the 20 nl drops.
That's the main reason we use bigger drops.

In the early stages of a project, there is often a great deal of batch
to batch variability in the protein samples. Minimizing this, and
getting consistent polydispersity measurements can go a long way toward
making scale-ups easier.
All this screening is for naught if you need to optimize using a second
batch of protein which behaves differently from the first, or if your
first/only batch is degraded by the time you have hits to optimize. If
you are fortunate to be producing your own protein, you can personally
make sure you are producing consistent batches. The worst thing you can
do is screen on the hearts, then optimize/scaleup with the tails (of the
protein peak in the purification).

Personally, I think having a liquid handling robot is almost as
important as a crystallization robot.

Lisa

P.S. Confidential to various sales people:
1. If you had visited us, you would have known we were going to buy
another robot.
2. If you had visited us, you would have known I was in the group.
3. If a member of our group didn't contact you and request information
for purchasing your fabulous robot based on your website/mailings/ads,
then your marketing people (not us) have the problem.
4. Sole source justification. Features and Price. 20K is a significant
difference, and we didn't need the extra features on your machine. Or we
needed features yours didn't have.
5. Sending snarky email messages about me to my coworkers makes all of
us less inclined to view your company favorably for future purchases.

--
Lisa A. Nagy, Ph.D.
University of Alabama-Birmingham