Regarding stochastic processes: to increase the chances of nucleation one would like to have protein in the right nucleation zone for a certain period of time.

If the drop becomes too small, the ratio evaporation surface/drop volume changes. So, the nucleation zone might be reached within the drop but either too fast ('racing through the phase diagram too quickly') or in the smaller droplet turbulence caused by evaporation might be more pronounced and interfere with nucleation.

At some stage I looked at this myself, although not for tiny volumes (0.3, 0.5 and 0.8ul droplets). With smaller volume I saw more and faster nucleation, but less crystal growth. There's got to be an optimum in terms of drop volume when using vapour diffusion. Any comments?

Carien