Hi all,

I had an interesting experience, and wonder if others have seen similar things.

I was collecting data from a crystal that contains an iodinated macromolecule. After 2 days on a copper rotating anode, with the crystal at 100 K, we experienced a detector problem, so I put the crystal back into the dewar; it was diffracting nicely when I took it off. For various reasons, I didn't get back to this crystal until about 3 weeks later. When I put it back on the goniostat, the mother liquor was milky white in appearance. There were no ice rings, but alas the crystal only gave a few anemic spots around the beamstop. Annealing didn't help, and I noticed that when I blocked the cold stream, the milky white appearance didn't go away when the sample thawed. I finally took the crystal off and looked at it under a microscope, at which point I discovered that the milky white appearance was due to the presence of bubbles in the mother liquor.

I seem to recall some talks on radiation damage in which people mention the evolution of a gas (H2?).

So: Does this seem like a radiation damage phenomenon? And have others seen this kind of delay in the manifestation of damage during storage at liquid N2 temperatures?

Thanks,

Pat

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------
Patrick J. Loll, Ph. D.                                         (215) 762-7706
Professor                                                               FAX:
(215) 762-4452
Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Director, Biochemistry Graduate Program
Drexel University College of Medicine
Room 10-102 New College Building
245 N. 15th St., Mailstop 497