Could it be that NCSMASK folded the mask back into an asymmetric unit?
My NCSMASK input file contains explicit xyzlim boundaries and "notrim" keyword.

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Laurence Pearl wrote:

I'm trying to generate a mask around a molecule using NCSMASK under the CCP4i interface, for ultimate use in NCS averaging and density modification in dm. Being a little old-fashioned I wanted to check that it covered the required molecule. However when displayed in COOT, there seem to be arbitary flat slabs running through the mask, with some sort of inversion or other transformation on the other side of the slab. The mask has a similar appearance in the CCP4mg. The flattenings are parallel to cell edges, and sometimes, but not always adjacent to cell faces.

Is this a known problem ? is it NCSMASK ? or is it COOT and CCP4mg ?

Daniel Anderson, Ph.D.
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: 310-206-3642 Fax: 310-206-3914

Howard Hughes Medical Institute at
University of California Los Angeles

Lab: Paul Boyer Hall Room 219
For US Postal Service and 2-dimensional, use:
 Box 951662 MRL5-748
 Los Angeles, CA 90095-1662
For UPS, FedEx, DHL, or 2.5-3-dimensional, use:
 Boyer 219
 611 Charles Young Drive East
 Los Angeles, CA 90095-1570
 USA